[Freedombox-discuss] is a distributed search engine (e.g. YaCy) to be part of the FB package?

James Vasile vasile at freedomboxfoundation.org
Fri Jul 15 13:45:31 UTC 2011

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 11:08:48 +0200, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> Admittedly, the index can get large, but on the hand
> SSD has more IOPS.

The box as shipped will have a relatively small subset of possible
packages (just as Debian installation has a small subset of the repo's
packages).  My guess is that distributed search is not likely to be in
that small subset.  We've always considered search to be somewhat beyond
the scope of the FreedomBox, largely because search is hard and
expensive, even in this distributed fashion.

But like anything else, if the community wants it and builds it,
anything is possible.  Somebody will package it and folks will manually
install it on the plugs and prove the software's worth and utility.
Eventually when we have a config system, others will hook it up and
we'll end up with a Debian package plus some FreedomBox configuration
glue.  And then FreedomBoxers will be able to use it.

Best regards,
James