[Freedombox-discuss] is a distributed search engine (e.g. YaCy) to be part of the FB package?

Luka Marčetić paxcoder at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 16:10:39 UTC 2011

On 07/16/2011 05:25 PM, James Vasile wrote:
>>> Where was it decided and when?
>> He was simply saying that we can't include all packages from the repo in
>> the FreedomBox sub-distro. In context, it's simply an "ignoratio
>> elenchi", if you will ( no offense, James ;-) ).
> I don't know what that means, but I think you just called me ignorant. ;)

That's not what I said, please see wikipedia article.

>> He did state it was his opinion that search would be excluded
> The basis of my opinion is that I talk to a *lot* of people about what
> FreedomBox is and what they need.  Search has never been at the top of
> the list of things people say they want.  Sometimes people ask if it
> will be there, but nobody so far has indicated this is a higher priority
> for them than most of the other things FreedomBox is going to try to
> do.

Maybe people you talked to simply didn't think about it, I don't know.
There are certainly more pressing issues, like I said, but my opinion is
- not many. Mesh networking, for example, has been long an idea tied to
FB, and a very discussed one. I doubt though that many people first
think of it when discussing FreedomBox. I doubt anyone would say it's a
priority. That doesn't mean it isn't important enough to be a default
feature when it's ready. YaCy has been on the mailing list and the wiki
for a while now. The problem with it is Java. There were alternatives
mentioned, but I can't remember anymore.

>   * packages in Debian that people can install as they please to
>     cherrypick FreedomBox functionality for themselves.  Debian (i.e. you
>     folks) has the final say on what goes in its repos.  The config
>     nightmare on this last one scares me.

That's the one we're discussing here. Debian wiki has more.

> The bottom line here is that the Foundation will make decisions about
> what *it* publishes.  But we have no interest in dictating what Debian
> publishes (as if we could!). I think it's likely that we will also link
> to the best/popular/most whatever versions others make too.

Thanks for the clarification.
Luka