[Freedombox-discuss] is a distributed search engine (e.g. YaCy) to be part of the FB package?

Luka Marčetić paxcoder at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 16:49:30 UTC 2011

On 07/16/2011 06:32 PM, nathan nolast wrote:

> I think some points we are missing ...
>
> There is a search engine out that is offering some privacy advantages
> http://www.ddg.gg <http://www.ddg.gg/>    or duckduckgo.com
> <http://duckduckgo.com/>

Not missing this, because a lot of us are using it (when I'm not using
google). Assuming you trust duckduckgo (whereas you do not trust Google
and Yahoo), it still cannot help you with oligopolist filtering, though,
as it's a meta search engine, not a "real" one.

> Plausible solution, i'll skip the debate because ive seen this
> discussion a few times.
>
> TLD's for users to use that are not indexed.   like a mysite.pvy
> (insert any fashionalbe TLD ..)

This is a different issue. Distributed DNS alternatives have their own
threadS ;-) It doesn't help you find mysite.