[Freedombox-discuss] Working Groups

James Vasile vasile at freedomboxfoundation.org
Tue Jul 19 18:01:31 UTC 2011

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 11:30:34 -0600, Patrick Anderson <agnucius at gmail.com> wrote:
> James Vasile wrote:
> > Thanks to everybody for pitching in on the Working Group discussion.  If
> > you want to work on something and it's not covered by the groups below,
> > please tell me and we'll make it happen.
>

> I would like investigate solutions to sharing the
> ownership of physical infrastructure, even including
> whether users could co-own the hardware for Clouds
> in Freedom-Preserving datacenters.
>
> There are sometimes great benefits to sharing the
> ownership of things like a communication satellite.
>
> If the users themselves could buy and co-own the
> material assets required for the things they need,
> there would never be any more begging owners to do
> the right thing, for the customer and vendor are
> then one and the same.

I think this qualifies as a big idea!  AFAIK, it's been kicked around a
bit but never seriously considered within this project.

Would you propose a WG based on this?  Perhaps you want to lead that
discussion.  If people join it, I'm all for hearing what that Group has
to say.  I can't promise the Foundation as infrastructure for such
things, but I will take mature proposals for consideration at the Board
level.

Thanks much!