[Freedombox-discuss] DNS std for Freedomboxes? [was Re: Establishing Communicationbetween Freedomboxes]

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Tue Jul 19 18:53:36 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:21 AM,  <bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org> wrote:

>> > Right. Since Directory Protocol v2, statements made by a Directory
>> > authority are believed by a Tor client "iff they were attested to by
>> > more than half of the authorities", so an adversary needs to
>> > compromise more than half of the Tor Directory authorities to be able
>> > to lie effectively to Tor clients.
>> >
>> > See dir-spec-v2.txt in the torspec Git repository¹ for details.
>> > The "0.1. History" section of the (WIP) dir-spec.txt is a nice
>> > introduction to how such matters are dealt with by Tor.
>> >
>> >  1. git://git.torproject.org/torspec.git
>> >
>> > Bye,
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Is there any reason why Tor-based DNS should not be the default for
>> the freedombox?
>
> DNS torification (using the DNSPort Tor option) actually only support A
> requests, meaning if the FreedomBox is setup to be a mail server, it can't
> work properly (at least MX DNS requests can't be resolved that way). But
> there are ways to configure a system so that it can use Tor for the A
> queries, and plain DNS for the rest.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Any downside to letting your adversary know what domains you are
emailing to?  Well, the mice probably don't want the octopus know that
they are emailing via @octopusnotsogreat.org?  But then again SMTP
itself is not encrypted either...

> Maybe that should be an option chosen by the user?

Too many options chosen by the user and we end up with "a Linux Box"
rather than "an appliance".  A freedombox should be operational with
minimal configuration- it should have rational functional
secure-as-practical defaults.  And of course a user with expertise can
tweak them but it should not be demanded that newbies choose too much.

Tony