[Freedombox-discuss] http://politics.slashdot.org/story/11/07/18/0153204/Security-Consultants-Warn-About-PROTECT-IP-Act

bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org
Tue Jul 19 18:51:50 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 04:14:37PM -0400, Ted Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-07-18 at 12:19 +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> > a non-centralised non-attackable truly peer-to-peer
> > replacement for the existing DNS infrastructure.
>
> Is this something the FreedomBox Debian project or the FreedomBox
> Foundation have committed to producing?
>
> Such a replacement would be an extremely sophisticated product of the
> conjunction of multiple technological advancements that simply don't
> exist yet. It was my understanding that the Freedombox project was more
> about integrating existing systems than attempting to develop novel
> solutions.

Having spent some time thinking about it, I agree this is actually not
really realistic to assume the that freedombox project would implement
such a system soon.

At least for the use case in which owners would buy a domain and host it
on their freedombox. I don't see actually any way to be sure that this
domain couldn't be taken down.

Still I believe that the freedombox project could at least setup a dynamic
DNS service ala dyndns, where owners could register a subdomain.

I believe that the only way to actually workaround the super-hierarchical
DNS problem is by community support. If the top domain providing this
service was run by public well-known and supported
organisations/individuals, it would be hard to force them to shut down a
subdomain, or/and threaten them to do so, cause they are public entities,
with a big community supporting them.

Maybe the first todo in this direction would be to setup an organisation
(or use the freedomboxfoundation.org?), who's members would be well known
"privacy concerned" people/organisations, that would register a domain.
Then think about a way to do this service in a privacy aware way.

bert.