[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox Conspiracy Theory

Craig Barnes cjbarnes18 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 22:11:07 UTC 2011

This is my first contribution to the list, but I think this is probably the
first time I would have a view of any value to others.

I am most certainly in the philosopher camp so far but I am a contributor
wannabe.
like
I am of the firm belief that there are no (or at least very few) futile
discussions here.

My understanding of the freedom-box project is that it will only use
existing Debian packages, which should not be a problem as far as I can
tell.

Given the 5 year objectives for freedom-box any / all discussions here have
the potential to influence the development of software and packages that
will be included in the the coming months/years.

Even the dead end discussions are helping to show the way in my view,  and
passionate  debate (though sometimes frustrating) prove that we care about
the outcome of the project.

I am learning a lot from the discussions, and am starting to get a feel for
what's in the the here and now list (not seeing much of this), and what in
the later list, and what out of scope, by the flow of the discussions.

I do feel as though I am sitting on the sidelines looking for an opportunity
to jump in though.  I've never built a deb package, but am keen to learn if
that will help the project along.

Would love to start playing with various packages, but am not sure if I am
wasting my time without a plug at my disposal.

If someone could point me in the right direction for getting started, I'd
happily add my learning experience to the wiki to give other Freedom-Box
contributor newbies a leg up.

I would love to learn more about the people actively working on the project,
their objectives, their progress, and any areas that they could use some
help.  Does this info exist anywhere?

Thank you all for your posts to date.  Don't stop, I'm learning so much.

Craig Barnes