[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox Conspiracy Theory

John Walsh fiftyfour at waldevin.com
Mon Jul 25 07:45:49 UTC 2011

 Hi Nathan,

 On Behalf Of nathan nolast
 i disagree with you analysis
if freedombox exists to only use existing
services/applications/tools/protocols, then the incentive for users to
purchase a freedombox only to use it for a task that can already be achieved
on ones personal computer would be extremely low.  Im not buying another
plugserver to host a diaspora pod, tor exit node ect ect ect. It would be a
disservice to the community that desperately needs the type of services
proposed... anonymous and privacy aware services that are not subject to
centralized services that are subject to oppression, censorship, and a total
take down.

I find it appealing that the project is using existing proven independent
applications and that the project will just be responsibly for forwarding
updates (upgrades, security) to FBX owners. I find it appealing that the
software is independent of the project. You are one of the lucky ones who
can setup their own DNS, email, voice and web servers at home. I think most
people are like me, who are unable to setup their own system or if they do
set up their own system. they lack the confidence that it has been set up
securely.

I signed up to Tondio (plugserver) which sells their solution on the basis
that if Tonido went bust tomorrow (1), their centralised P2P network would
go down with the loss of using their propriety apps, but you would still
have all your data stored locally (true). However, Tonido fails to mention
that all your communications are locked-in to their propriety apps, i.e. no
data portability. In the end, I was better off using email, which when you
think about it can be P2P (BYO domain name), secure (encryption), privacy
aware (white lists and email disclaimers), but brings with a cumbersome
interface (attachments anyone) and is a major time vampire when you want to
find something. It's also not anonymous.

what this project needs is a forums for discussion, and some updates from
cor devs about the progress and direction we are going. The mailing list has
become bombarded with inexperienced users wanting to promote ideas with no
developmental background. Which is fine, but the mailing list i feel is not
the correct place for such discussion.

The proposed working groups will probably lead to new mailing lists, which
in essence is a basic forum. I agree that the core devs need to provide
regular updates and I look forward to the update at Debcon. I also hope at
Debcon or soon after their is a roadmap indicating the direction of the
project. Personally, I would like to know what is FBX Foundation policy in
choosing an application, e.g. data portability, large community support,
easy update between major versions.

- fiftyfour

(1)
http://www.codelathe.com/blog/index.php/2009/11/06/what-happens-to-tonidoplu