[Freedombox-discuss] Article on Commotion Wireless software by Open Technology Initiative

Rick graham.rick at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 14:18:44 UTC 2011

Thanks Chris, good article.

This is awesome (excerpt from the linked article)

*There are plenty of protocols already in use that tell devices how and
where to relay information. For instance, the Optimized Link State Routing
(OLSR) protocol, which Commotion plans on employing, is currently being used
in a grassroots MANET called FunkFeuer, based in Vienna. FunkFeuer has 1200
nodes—both personal devices and dedicated rooftop wireless routers—and was
created by tech-savvy citizens as a test network for OLSR. "We’ve made it
massively scalable," says Aaron Kaplan, one of the founders of FunkFeuer.
"We’ve been using it to have a community wireless network, and it’s been
running very well."*

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Chris Troutner
<Chris.Troutner at paccar.com>wrote:

>  Hey all,****
>
> ** **
>
> I wanted to make sure the group saw this article as it probably won’t get
> much major media circulation. This is the first I’ve heard about the Open
> Technology Initiative and their Commotion Wireless software. I think we (as
> a group) need to reach out to them. I think there is a lot of room for
> synergy.****
>
> ** **
>

> http://spectrum.ieee.org/telecom/internet/building-a-subversive-grassroots-network/?utm_source=techalert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=072811
> ****