[Freedombox-discuss] objectives

Les Orchard l.m.orchard at pobox.com
Wed Jun 8 20:41:00 UTC 2011

On 6/8/11 4:26 PM, FreedomBox-Discuss.NeoPhyte_Rep at OrdinaryAmerican.net
wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 11:30 AM,  l.m.orchard at pobox.com wrote:
>> On 6/8/11 2:17 PM, Bdale Garbee wrote:
>>>    We want to provide a way for people to communicate with each other
>>>    privately, minimizing their dependence on service providers, and
>>>    hopefully providing some resiliency in the face of service outages.
>> Though important, this feels like a secondary goal to me. It can be made
>> easier if we already have something to address the first goal. There are
>> other projects already working on anonymized, encrypted, mesh-based
>> networking - and I suspect something like a freedombox could ride on top of
>> those rather than focus on a solution of its own.
> For the benefit of those of us who are not as aware as yourself, could
> you please list a couple of the other projects that are already
> working on anonymized, encrypted, mesh-based networking?

I'm not especially aware of these things, really. I'd say look through
the freedombox-discuss archives - search for things like TOR, OpenBTS,
servalproject.org, villagetelco.org, and probably a half-dozen other
projects whose leaders & participants have dropped into the conversation
here at various points.

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/

l.m.orchard at pobox.com
http://decafbad.com