[Freedombox-discuss] Social Sync (was: Re: Is / Is Not)

Josef Spillner 2005 at kuarepoti-dju.net
Thu Jun 9 17:23:45 UTC 2011

Hello,

:: Jonas Smedegaard Donnerstag 09 Juni 2011
> I believe such scenarios are best solved using semweb technologies -
> i.e. FOAF, WebID and RDF.
[...]
> No shiny user-ready applications on that front yet, however.

Indeed, however several people are already aware of this issue and work on
such "social (network) synchronisation" tools.
Here's a related minddump^Wconcept which I recently came up with after
gathering the input from two workshops in this area. Its aim is to have
integration of contacts, events, pictures etc. from the network all the way up
into the user's desktop (and back again if desired). Therefore it includes
commonly-used PIM-related file formats in addition to some fancy semantic
formats:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/ocs/attachments/20110608/856bf49a/attachment-0001.png

This is a nice isolated topic which is of benefit to the freedombox but not
necessarily in all of its aspects exclusive to it. Therefore, if more people
are interested in "social sync", I recommend taking the development parts of
it off the main mailing list to some other place. At least the building blocks
for free desktops and free mobile platforms are already developed and
packaged, so having a working solution in the given timeframe appears to be
realistic.

The topic is also somewhat overlapping, but still complementary to the trend
of running services as decentralised inter-communication nodes in terms of
data souvereignty. How much the overlap and the mutual benefit is still needs
to be found out, of course.

Josef