[Freedombox-discuss] objectives

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun Jun 12 02:48:09 UTC 2011

On 11-06-12 at 01:06am, Bob Mottram wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 08:37:58 +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:
> >Lets get organised or this will just be another project that meanders
> >all over the place for years, with various models of dysfunctional
> >output the only result.
>
> I agree.  I have been running what might be described as a
> freedombox for about a year now - a Sheeva plug with a Debian
> installation.  However, presently I can't recommend this to other
> people unless they have enough technical expertise and time to be
> able to install and configure a web server (which isn't that many
> people).  The freedombox project should aim to make doing this as
> easy as installing a router.

People here have that expertise, I guess.

Would you be willing to share your setup, and point out what you spot
yourself as being weak points regarding usability by non-experts?

> My suggestions are:
>
> 1.  Pick a hardware platform and stick to it, at least for an
> initial release.  Various exotic platforms such as mobile phones and
> modified routers would be nice, but to begin with to avoid having to
> deal with a plethora of hardware variety just pick one and run with
> it.
>
> 2.  Pick some packages.  Take a vote on which ones are the most
> appropriate if necessary.  If some things are presently unpackaged
> then delegate that work as needed.
>
> 3.  Don't get too bogged down with "pure blends", etc.  The people
> who will get the most benefit from freedombox have far less abstract
> concerns.
>
> 4.  Aim to produce an initial release at the earliest possible date,
> then iterate.

Sounds good.  As for packages to pick, how about you describe the
packages you have a year of experience using?

Regards,

 - Jonas

Who don't mind dirty crap short-term but insist on purity long-term.