[Freedombox-discuss] PET questions

Lee Fisher blibbet at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 00:48:09 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have some questions about FreedomBox's use of: Tor (not "TOR" :-)),
I2P, Tahoe/LAFS, Phantom, I2P, Eternity, BitTorrent, etc. I'd be
grateful for any insight, to help for an upcoming FB talk, and to help
clarify FB's use of this software.

Is FB an IPv6-only device? What v4/v6 interop servers (NAT, STUN, etc)
will be used? Is SOCKS one of them (for Tor)?

Is BitTorrent the software for the "drop box" requirement, which has no
software listed under it? Or is this why NFS and SMB servers are required?

How is email going to be encrypted and relayed? Not mixmaster or
mixminion, I presume? Tor Hidden Service version? Other software?

Tor is sometimes listed as optional, sometimes mandatory, and sometimes
seemingly opposed in some threads by one TAC member. :-) I'm still
unclear if, or how it is used, and if there will be different profiles,
if any? I'm hoping Tor will be available as a client, as a node (normal
or bridge, entry/middle/exit), hidden service). IPsec is sometimes
listed as used, but this is contrary to the SOCKS-style NAT that Tor uses.

If a web server is also part of the stack, and Tor is available, then
Tor Hidden Services could be used for the "drop box", and to replace
Tahoe/LAFS, and the NFS/SMB servers.

I2P is sometimes mentioned as being part of the stack. The project was
down for a long time, only active in recent few months; is this stable
enough? I am under the impression using Tor with I2P is a conflict, so
how is this resolved, w/r/t Tor use? Someone I recall something about
not using/liking/preferring Java-based code, and I2P is that. IMO, Tor
seems much more mature w/r/t tools, docs, and community.

Is Eternity really going to be used? Someone already noted there's no
Debian package for it. Its a nice idea, but does anyone use it? Does
this mean FB hosts are going to be NNTP servers, or will SMTP be used
for this (I forget which Eternity supported)? Is FB an NNTP server, and
client?

Is the GnuPG keyserver going to be used, along with GnuPG, as sometimes
distributed?

Why is Samba needed for Windows interop on a FB? There's enough other
protocols being served by the FB already that I don't see why SMBs are
needed. NFS and SMB servers seems way too bloated for this tiny ARM
plug. :-) Ditto, with NFS and Unix, why is it needed? Is FTP also going
to be used for "drop box" storage? Again, web server + DAV seems to
remove most of this bloat.

ZRTP was mentioned in email, not sure about wiki. Is that being
considered as part of the VoIP solution? Is it Free enough for a Debian
project?

Thanks for any clarifications!