[Freedombox-discuss] tahoe-lafs now in debian

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Jun 21 13:03:42 UTC 2011

On 11-06-21 at 02:21pm, bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 02:06:24PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> > > I mean hosted in Debian backport archive.
> >
> > Please beware that being part of Debian "official" backport archive
> > does not make it stable.
>
> Thanks, I was already aware of that.
>
> > Debian provides all stable parts as a single repository.
> >
> > We should *not* encourage FreedomBox users to use non-stable parts.
>
> But we should probably *not* disable the possibility for FreedomBox
> users to use repo like the backports one.

FreedomBox is Debian.  As such flexibility in choice of package sources
cannot be disabled, only discouraged - e.g. by leaving out user
interface for editing APT source list.

> It's sometimes the only way to get a new feature into a stable Debian
> while still having the benefits of Debian archive keyring. To the cons
> of stablility/security trade-off, but maybe this kind of choice is up
> to users, as long as they are advertised of the implications. It's
> still better than having Freedombox users to use rogue repositories
> for a new package/feature.

Seems you are talking about experts capable of handling a system
contaminated with non-stable parts.  Not very very user-friendly tasks.

In my vocabulary, experts are not FreedomBox users (but quite likely
FreedomBox developers and testers).

Regards,