[Freedombox-discuss] Erlang

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Jun 21 19:56:49 UTC 2011

On 11-06-21 at 02:48pm, William Gardella wrote:
> Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> writes:
>
> > On 11-06-21 at 02:16pm, William Gardella wrote:
> >> Matthew Evans <mattevans123 at hotmail.com>
> >>
> >> Off the top of my head, ejabberd is a prominent, distributed
> >> Erlang-based chat server project, and already in debian-stable.  It
> >> could probably be used, e.g., to allow users on a wireless mesh
> >> network in the censored country to reach a node of the jabber
> >> server, which would then be connected to other nodes abroad via a
> >> VPN...
> >
> > I know about ejabberd.  I use it on several servers.
> >
> > I am unaware, however, how ejabberd can be (internally Erlang-like,
> > not using standard XMPP protocol) distributed across multiple
> > FreedomBoxes.
> >
> > Information on how to do that would be quite interesting.  For me,
> > perhaps others here as well, and most likely also for the Debian
> > maintainer of ejabberd!

> I was able to find this interesting article about clustering in an
> "erlangy" way, using synchronized Erlang mnesia databases.
>
> http://tdewolf.blogspot.com/2009/07/clustering-ejabberd-nodes-using-mnesia.html
>
> Does this look like something that could be boiled down into a nice
> little script, provided the admin of node #1 made the ejabberd cookie
> file and mnesia database available to other FBs?

Thanks.

I agree that it seems possible to automate with a small script. Or
better: To integrate with Debian package install routines.

But I begin to realize why this might not be interesting at all for
FreedomBox: It seems to require *full* trust across the board.  Not a
good security design: Even two sisters may have secrets for each other.