[Freedombox-discuss] Rouge Freedomboxes and government intervention

Neophyte Representative neophyte.rep at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 21:28:47 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 2:34 AM, Jonas Smedegaard - dr at jones.dk wrote:

> We should continuously have all possible use cases in mind, but
> prioritize those easy to provide rather than those with most direct
> benefit for users involved in most obvious freedom-enabling activities.
>
> Both segments care, else they don't buy FreedomBox at all.
>
> Example: Karla is increasingly frustrated with her government, is
> politically active, and may start an uprising in 3 months.  Joanna is
> supportive of political activism but is more into partying and chasing
> guys, not willing to get up on the barricades.  Joanna and Karla both
> want a FreedomBox.  FreedomBox-dating already exist in Debian testing,
> but FreedomBox-stealth is still so flaky it is not even packaged for
> Debian yet.
>
> Do we then...
>
>  a) release FreedomBox 1.0 in 6 months with -dating only,
>    and FreedomBox 2.0 in maybe 1 year with -stealth added,
>    prioritizing all parts being reliable and maintainable.
>  b) release FreedomBox 1.0 in 6 months with -dating and -stealth,
>    prioritizing urgent features for urgent matters (even if flaky
>    and perhaps even dangerous for Karla to use).
>  c) release FreedomBox 1.0 in 1 month with -dating and -stealth,
>    prioritizing urgent features for urgent matters (even if flaky
>    and perhaps even dangerous for both Karla and Joanna to use).

You don't have any idea what quality or quantity of reliably available
developmental labor units you will have available to even try to push
the schedule around in this manner.

The last thing I think you would want to do is put Karla in any
serious danger of over-estimating the utility of FreedomBox in
protecting her anonymity while facilitating her quest for governmental
improvement, regardless of Joanna's uses.  Joanna can probably be
fully satisfied with reasonable use of today's spyware infected
commercial offerings.  Karla, in the most dangerous case, can't.