[Freedombox-discuss] is FreedomBox only FreedomBox if directly usable by people on the barricades?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Jun 23 01:29:12 UTC 2011

On 11-06-22 at 06:02pm, J David Eisenberg wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 4:47 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
> > On 11-06-22 at 04:43pm, Neophyte Representative wrote:
> >> >

> >> Yes.
> >>
> >> I don't take The Ultimate Sacrifice lightly.  I'd MUCH prefer we
> >> have those folks alive to help make progress.
> >
> > How?  By putting not yet stable stuff into early releases of
> > FreedomBox?
> >
> If I read Neophyte's post correctly, he suggests that we help by not
> giving Karla unreasonable expectations by using the name "FreedomBox"
> for something that is designed to fit Joanna's needs and does not meet
> the needs of a freedom fighter.
>
> I am at a total loss for a good name for the box that fits Joanna's
> needs. "Personal Cloud in a Box" seems descriptive, but is too clumsy.
> "Silverlining Box" is intriguing but not self-explanatory.
>
> If this question is even relevant: If Karla were to have the box that
> fits Joanna's needs, would this be worse than having nothing at all or
> better than having nothing at all?

I do find it a quite relevant question.  And I apologize for being so
lousy at expressing my opinion, so thanks for the patience and your help
clarifying it.

I consider FreedomBox a tool for non-technical users to participate in
the silverlining of the cloud.

I do not consider FreedomBox exclusively targeted so-called "Freedom
Fighters" - meaning people going on the barricades and risking their
lives and physical freedom in their fights.