[Freedombox-discuss] FOAF+SSL concerns

Henry Story henry.story at bblfish.net
Thu Jun 23 21:01:08 UTC 2011

On 23 Jun 2011, at 22:02, Erik Harmon wrote:

> Hi, my first message here.
>
> There has been some talk of using FOAF+SSL. It seems like a good
> system for many purposes, and I do believe it should be included, but
> I have some concerns. The WebID concept looks tied to DNS and by
> extension, hierarchical namespace.

WebID is in fact general enough that it does not require DNS.
I proposed an httpk URL namespace in the following e-mail to this list illustrate how this could be done.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-webid/2011Mar/0068.html

I referred to that thread in the "WebID and Browsers" paper presented at the
W3C Workshop on Identity in the Browser last month.

http://www.w3.org/2011/identity-ws/papers/idbrowser2011_submission_22/webid.html

We put a lot of energy together then putting together the following videos for
that conference and the Federated Social Web (don't like the 'federated' myself)
earlier this month.

The short videos are available here in ogg and other open formats

   http://bblfish.net/blog/2011/05/25/

I hope that the httpk idea tied in with the realisation that the Web is a built as a declarative peer to peer architecture will allay your fears. We are just using whatever tools we have to gain a foothold initially. DNS is quite widely distributed and very widely available, and we can use that to our advantage to solve even bigger problems, such as total centralisation of everything on servers with the same intials as this mailing list.

Henry