[Freedombox-discuss] public certifications and petnames [was: Re: FreedomBox 'bump/hi-five' challenge]

Marc Manthey marc at let.de
Fri Jun 24 21:23:57 UTC 2011

On Jun 24, 2011, at 10:31 PM, ian at churchkey.org wrote:

> On 06/24/2011 03:58 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
>> On 06/24/2011 04:25 AM, John Gilmore wrote:
>>> Not automatically tying a key to a self-claimed identity, nor a
>>> government-issued identity, nor even a photo, will help freedom
>>> fighters stay free when the government grabs somebody and tries to
>>> find all their collaborators.
>>
>> People can do this with a pseudonym -- there are many pseudonymous
>> OpenPGP user IDs in the existing WoT.  But not everyone will use a
>> pseudonym.  If you're concerned that a pseudonym might be too
>> identifiable, consider that the key's fingerprint itself is unique
>> and
>> identifiable.  Better to lay claim to a persistent identity that
>> allows
>> re-keying.  If you want to ditch your pseudonym, that's just as
>> easy as
>> ditching a key (easier, in fact)
>
> We might also want to consider that people maintain different means of
> contact for different social contexts, whether that is separate email
> addresses or the social network segregation that currently exists
> between Facebook, LinkedIn, and Online dating sites. Whatever app we
> build for this phone handshake should have some mechanism for letting
> people maintain different identities and specify which one they are
> generating a QR code for at any given moment.
>
> I would /strongly/ suggest that we use something like a color scheme

Very intersting thread annoymity versus identity, i was asked
a few weeks before if we would not help implementing the system we work
on into their filesharing system and i try to explain one of the
developers , that
when i want to download/share  a possibly illegal movie or piece of
software i dont want to be
peered or "friend/buddy" of someone,its not that i dont like him :)  i
just want the greatest possible annonymity.

I think one reason why IRC for example become and is still so
popular , because you meet in a "room" so you dont know
the persons ,and you dont need to add them to exchange conversations ,
same like on a mailing list, you might even not interested
in take part of the conversation, you just wanna "hangout" there and
see what people post, their opinions, discusions , what interest they
have
and take the decision whitch person/identity  you want to "add" to
your personal contacts later.

So what i am trying to say is  multiple-identitys for different
purposes and different kind of contacts would be a keysolution.

I dont wanna hijack the thread but would zeroconfiguration http://zeroconf.org/
    service discovery with http://www.dns-sd.org not usefull in any
case of sharing publishing a specific "service"  on a freedombox ?
Wide area bonjour allows sharing of any service running on a specitic
machine over the internet.

A buddy works on https://github.com/andrewtj/dnsxd an authoritative
DNS server, whitch use DNS Long Lived Queries and DNS Update Leases.

Another interresting project  Unmanaged Internet Architecture -  http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/uia/
  , is also wide area bonjour based IMHO .

I am interested what you think.

greetings

Marc

--  Les enfants teribbles - research / deployment
Marc Manthey- Vogelsangerstrasse 97
50823 Köln - Germany
Tel.:0049-221-29891489
Mobil:0049-1577-3329231