[Freedombox-discuss] Lessons from a FreedomBox alternative - Tonido

Marc Manthey marc at let.de
Mon Jun 27 09:41:48 UTC 2011

On Jun 27, 2011, at 12:15 PM, Bob Mottram wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 14:38:07 +1000, John Walsh wrote:
>> Still, I think the FreedomBox would have to work behind and in
>> front of a
>> router (both use cases). My parents have a modem+router+wi-fi combo
>> box
>> because they have the piece of *consumer* mind that everything will
>> work
>> together. The most basic device in the shops here is an modem
>> +router combo -
>> you cannot buy a modem on its own anymore here. You are effectively
>> forced
>> to put your FreedomBox behind a router here :(
>

> For an initial release trying to replace routers may not be the best
> option.  In my experience routers are often supplied pre-configured
> by the ISP, and replacing that with a freedombox could result in
> many problems, because there are a wide diversity of routers and ISP
> configurations.  If anything goes wrong the ISP is unlikely to be
> able (or willing) to tell you how to configure the freedombox.
> Using a freedombox as a router replacement is likely to be an option
> which only the more technically confident users will attempt.
>
> The easiest installation for most users is going to be something
> behind an existing router, then opening the relevant ports.

i agree, but keep in mind, using freedombox behind a router, you get
what your ISP offers ! , nothing else,  no ipv6 , no multicast and ports
that might be blocked in some countrys.

If you run freedombox as a replacement for your  router you might have
no internet.

To run a complette independent overlay , mesh/FabFi/B.a.t.m.a.n./
freifunk/wirelessafrika/one_lab_top_pe_rchild/ whatever internet
you need to reach a critical mass of devices around you, otherwise its
useless.

So a box that connected via the most common methods with an "sharing
network" function ?

a nice monday

Marc

  P.S. host lists.alioth.debian.org[217.196.43.134] said: 550-
Blacklisted URL in
    message. (opencu .t k) in [black]. See 550    ????

--  Les enfants teribbles - research / deployment
Marc Manthey- Vogelsangerstrasse 97
50823 Köln - Germany
Tel.:0049-221-29891489
Mobil:0049-1577-3329231