[Freedombox-discuss] Freedombox threat model

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Jun 28 16:44:07 UTC 2011

On 06/28/2011 12:23 PM, ian at churchkey.org wrote:
> There is a scale, it goes from the worse case scenario where everyone
> you interact with online knows everything else you do online, to the
> best case scenario, where no one you interact with knows enough about
> you to be sure that you are the same person from interaction to
> interaction.

Sorry to keep harping on this, but i don't think it's being heard (or
internalized), so i'm going to keep on:

It is *not* a best case scenario where no one you interact with knows
enough about you to be sure that you are the same person from
interaction to interaction.

Such a situation would be an utter disaster for activists, dissenters,
and the marginalized, who we should be trying to support.

The goal (as i understand it) is to provide global communication to
these good folks so that they can establish networks of community and
collaboration over otherwise impassable distances.

Without strong knowledge of identity across the global communication
network, these communities are vulnerable to impersonation and
infiltration by their adversaries.

We want to ensure that people are in control of who they display and
prove their identity to; we should *not* be in the position of making it
impossible for people to establish long-term authenticated relationships
with other people.

	--dkg