[Freedombox-discuss] Debian FreedomBox = Existing Debian packages on plug hardware

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 16:19:23 UTC 2011

On 1 March 2011 17:02, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

>>> This mailinglist was created in direct response to a talk made in July at
>>> a Debian conference, where Eben Moglen challenged the Debian community to
>>> put the already production-ready Debian distro onto the already
>>> production-ready Plug devices, "just" make the combination dead simple for
>>> non-geeks to consume.
>
>>>  Debian supports Plug devices, not Android phones.  Debian also support a
>>> gazillion devices other than Plug devices, and a gazillion other use cases,
>>> but I dare say this particular project was created with the relatively
>>> narrow scope of consumer-friendly design + Plug devices + Debian subset of
>>> freedom-enabling technologies.
>>
>> What about Eben's original talk about NYU a year ago, 'Freedom in the
>> Cloud', where he coined the term 'Freedom Box'?
>>
>> I believe he mentioned both Fedora and Debian..  IMHO he was promoting
>> the idea of free software in the freedom box, and selected Debian as a
>> leader rather than an absolute.
>
> Several Eben Moglen talks are original.  Possibly the term FreedomBox was
> _introduced_ at a talk a year ago.  I can't say for sure, and also find it
> irrelevant for this discussion.

Here's the original.  Worth watching, IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOEMv0S8AcA

> Do you not understand that a different talk spawned this mailinglist?
>
> Or do you not care and feel the goal should be more broad nevertheless?

I do feel the general goals of the freedom box should be a broad one.

Totally respect the original of this list and the debian nature.  I
run debian myself and am happy for that to be the focus.

However, I was unsure that other related freedom box projects are
completely out of scope at this early stage, but if you tell me, I'll
believe you.