[Freedombox-discuss] Freedom Box UUCP?

Thomas Lord lord at emf.net
Wed Mar 2 05:27:07 UTC 2011

Absolutely yes to store and forward but I don't think
that the UUCP protocols are necessarily all that important
(or up to snuff).  Where they work they work and that's
great but building explicit dependencies on UUCP is
tying ourselves in knots.

We ought to think more in terms of basic data structures
(e.g,. Mailbox format of mime messages or whatever) and
semantics (addressability, reliability, timing, etc.) --
and have a kind of overlay "API" conception over those
things -- which can then be implemented by whatever
ad hoc protocols are available underneath.

I'm not sure quite yet how to express this precisely
but we need to think of this in layers and build
"freedombox-portable apps" a little bit higher level
than specific protocols like UUCP.

-t