[Freedombox-discuss] Storage and crypto performance on the kirkwood platform

Matt Willsher matt at monki.org.uk
Thu Mar 3 16:07:39 UTC 2011

Hello all,

I did some benchmarking yesterday on my ARM platform yesterday. It's a QNAP
T-219P, now running Squeeze. Performance had seemed a little sluggish so I
did some bench marking. This covers off ext3 and 4 as well as ext4 on a luks
volume. All are on LVM and then md, so plenty of layers there :). Benchmarks
done with bonnie++

http://blog.matt.monki.org.uk/ext3-vs-ext4-performance-on-debian-squeeze-ar
shows
the results. Of particular interest to me was how slow the crypto engine
appears to be. The benefit of the crypto engine is that the CPU isn't doing
the work.

I did try to see if I could get OpenSSL to hook into the crypto engine but
failed - cryptodev/devcrypto seemed to be the only way of doing it and that
isn't in squeeze and doesn't appear to be actively developed. I might have a
play around with it some more.

Regards,
Matt