[Freedombox-discuss] Confused about this project

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fri Mar 4 23:19:32 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 05:55:39PM -0500, James Vasile wrote:
>On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 15:40:24 -0600, Anthony Papillion
><papillion at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is hardware still totally up in the air?
>
>Yes and no.  The FreedomBox project, as proposed by Eben, has a
>hardware target: small pluggable computers.
>
>Yet still, the future is long and the world is wide.  Ports can be
>made. It's doubtful, but when the tech group gets down to brass tacks
>some unforseen circumstance might make the plug an obviously bad
>choice.  And people on this list are of course free to extend the
>vision to other hardware. So on some level there are lots of hardware
>possibilities.

Sure Plug devices become obsolete long-term.  Debian, however, do not.
Or at least I do not expect that - and assume noone else subscribed to
this Debian(!) list does either.

Plug devices is a sensible choice not because they never become obsolete
but because they are usable with Debian *now* so we can hack on it
*now*.

Please do!

>But no, the hardware is not up in the air.  After we assemble a tech
>committee, I predict this will all get focused to the target.  For now,
>though, I'm quite enjoying the multiplicity of ideas.

Feel free to wait for a committee to make decisions for you.

I won't wait for that.  I am working on FreedomBox *now* and take orders
from noone.

When I've repeatedly referred to the preaching of Eben, it is not that I
treat his message as Law, but because I have found it sensible, and
because I assume that is what we have in common here on this list.