[Freedombox-discuss] Confused about this project

Frank Lovelace frank.lovelace at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 16:57:22 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar  4 23:19:32 UTC 2011, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 05:55:39PM -0500, James Vasile wrote:
>>/On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 15:40:24 -0600, Anthony Papillion
/>>/<papillion at gmail.com <http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/freedombox-discuss>> wrote:
/>>>/ Is hardware still totally up in the air?
/>>/
/>>/Yes and no.  The FreedomBox project, as proposed by Eben, has a
/>>/hardware target: small pluggable computers.
/>>/
/>>/Yet still, the future is long and the world is wide.  Ports can be
/>>/made. It's doubtful, but when the tech group gets down to brass tacks
/>>/some unforseen circumstance might make the plug an obviously bad
/>/>choice.  And people on this list are of course free to extend the
/>>/vision to other hardware. So on some level there are lots of hardware
/>>/possibilities.
/>
>Sure Plug devices become obsolete long-term.  Debian, however, do not.
>Or at least I do not expect that - and assume noone else subscribed to
>this Debian(!) list does either.
>
>Plug devices is a sensible choice not because they never become obsolete
>but because they are usable with Debian *now* so we can hack on it
>*now*.
>
>Please do!
>

>>/But no, the hardware is not up in the air.  After we assemble a tech
/>>/committee, I predict this will all get focused to the target.  For now,
/>>/though, I'm quite enjoying the multiplicity of ideas.
/>
>Feel free to wait for a committee to make decisions for you.
>
>I won't wait for that.  I am working on FreedomBox *now* and take orders
>from noone.
>
>When I've repeatedly referred to the preaching of Eben, it is not that I
>treat his message as Law, but because I have found it sensible, and
>because I assume that is what we have in common here on this list.
>

>   - Jonas

You're straw-manning.