[Freedombox-discuss] Freedombox-discuss Digest, Vol 8, Issue 46

Joshua Spodek joshuaspodek at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 23:02:01 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-03-08 at 16:05 +0000,
freedombox-discuss-request at lists.alioth.debian.org wrote:
> On 3/8/11 7:55 AM, James Vasile wrote:
> > On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 10:37:00 -0500, Joshua
> Spodek<joshuaspodek at yahoo.com>  wrote:
> >
> > My guess is that the early version of the Freedom Plug is not going
> > have full-featured end-user apps like FB-ish walls.

> Maybe not full-featured, but it should have *something* as a start
> toward communication and social networking. I think there's room for
> things like Pagekite along with some web publishing, microblogging,
> and
> general communication tools. A lot of this stuff already exists,
> either
> as Debian packages or in a form ready to wrap up in a package.

I agree an early version for consumers should have a few tools, but I
remember when Wikipedia had tons more geek-friendly articles than
mainstream ones. It was still enough to bootstrap to mainstream usage.

Based on that success and ones like it, I think an earlier version of
FreedomBox that's usable to geeks and hackers will be quicker to make
and will get at least some people using it. They'll be quick to install
basic communication, social networking tools, etc.

The important thing is not to do anything that would prevent future
necessary functionality.

What's the minimum to have a device that's helpful?