[Freedombox-discuss] Freedombox-discuss Digest, Vol 8, Issue 37

Les Orchard l.m.orchard at pobox.com
Wed Mar 9 00:46:46 UTC 2011

On 3/8/11 6:44 PM, ian at churchkey.org wrote:
> On 03/08/2011 05:02 PM, Jay Sulzberger wrote:
>> I hope that we build a "talk to me securely" sub-system which can
>> be used by people who do not know /etc from /var.  Every button
>> press required imposes a non-trivial cost; every actual decision
>> a large cost; two decisions one after the other, ah, well, as an
>> old Unix hand said to me last week "Why don't they just exchange
>> OpenPGP public keys and then use ftp?".
>>
>> I think such a sub-system is required to be built to get a
>> freedombox.
> +1

This is where I wonder about building the FreedomBox out of just what
Debian has on the menu today.

In order to present a coherent, accessible UX on the device—presumably
via a web browser and maybe mobile apps—there will need to be one or
more integration packages that tie everything together. (eg. Like a
Linksys router, with its web management pages usable from a LAN)

Maybe that already basically exists, and I just need to do some
exploration of the universe of Debian packages to answer my own questions.

On the other hand, maybe we can build the box from what's in Debian's
toy chest, user friendly or not. Along the way, build a backbone of UX
that can itself one day be a proper Debian package.

l.m.orchard at pobox.com
http://decafbad.com
{web,mad,computer} scientist