[Freedombox-discuss] Call to Participate

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Mar 9 18:13:22 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 12:24:58PM -0500, ian at churchkey.org wrote:
>On 03/09/2011 12:04 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> I am quite concerned whether this Foundation - still curious what it
>> is - wants to create its own technical structures or integrate with
>> debian resources or use Google, Ubuntu or other more or less
>> commercial resources.
>
>Not quite sure what you mean here.

I mean any and all information that you'd be comfortable sharing.

>Are you talking about the actual mechanism we plan to use for
>organizing volunteers? I believe that is currently our own mailman
>instance.

Oh, you are maintaining a separate mailinglist server.  That comes as a
surprise to me.  Both that it exists (I believe I've looked at the web
pages several times for exactly that kind of info, but I might obviously
have simply missed it), and why you feel the need for maintaining
separate lists.

Where are those lists?  Are their archives public accessible somewhere?

...but to answer your question: No, as mentioned above I did not even
expect you to run own mailinglist server so didn't consider asking about
that.  I was more specifically wondering on translation tracking - e.g.
use of Rosetta, Pootle, Yahoo Babelfish, Google Translate, [DDTP] etc.

But let me emphasize again, that I am interested in any and all that you
feel comfortable sharing openly with us.

You address us as friends and I certainly, dearly(!) want our
relationship to be friendly.  I do notice, however, that decisions are
made at your camp (which is great) apparently without discussing openly
first (which is fine too, but I would prefer if at least the decision
_process_ was open) and apparently counting on us playing along (which
is _also_ fine - but your apparent lack of transparency concerns me).

Please do not take this as fingerpointing or wanting to accuse you of
structuring things in a bas way.  I simply feel unable to gather
knowledge to even form an opinion on whether you are running a sensible
organisation or not, and fear that others might feel similarly (or
worse, might be less tolerant and loose faith in you sooner).

Kind regards, and with best intentions,

   - Jonas

[DDTP]: http://www.debian.org/intl/l10n/ddtp