[Freedombox-discuss] FOAF developers taking FreedomBox into their equation

bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org
Thu Mar 10 15:20:46 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 02:11:59PM +0000, Clint Adams wrote:

> I understand wanting to do things half-assed to harness momentum.
> What I am concerned about is a future point in time where we have
> to throw out the entire AAA infrastructure and replace it with
> something else.  If no one is working on these other complex layers,
> can we be assured that that will not be necessary?

I've been quite scared to read here people talking about using dyndns
service, so I did some scroogle on the freedombox DNS issue.

Haven't found a lot of things yet, apart from an old app [1] that is a
open source implementation of dynamic DNS service.

It's note really maintained anymore, but the code is here still here
waiting some revival, or rewrite.

It uses a mysql database as backend, so maybe one way to have this service
decentralized might be to change its backend for some other database like
couchdb.

Then every freedombox would have that service running, would register its
new IP to this self-hosted service, which would push the change in the
couchdb. Or maybe just some freedombox that did agree to run this public
service.

It's just a basic idea that is quite unclear in my brain and need probably
a lot of thinking and testing. So if you have ideas yourself, please
comment. :)

[1] http://gnudip2.sourceforge.net/