[Freedombox-discuss] Russ Nelson: Admin-free Chumby; inet scripts; supply chains

Thomas Lord lord at emf.net
Mon Mar 14 05:58:51 UTC 2011

It's  mildly frustrating because the clock-radio form factor
of a Chumby seems slightly "off mission" for freedombox.
Color touch screen, very low memory and storage,
mic, fancy  speakers, accelerometer  ...    Also, the power
consumption (at least of the "chumby guts" kit)
is a bit high.  All a bunch of "not quite what we
were thinking of" trade-offs.

Can anyone else verify and help better describe
supply chain problems with the plug computer
manufacturers?    In terms of a question like:
Suppose that in 3 months I have software mostly
lined up and in 6 months I want to try to sell
1,000 units out of stock ... and I'm one of a
very small number of *initial* vendors who want
a stock of freedomboxes of that size.   How much
of a world of hurt am I in for with today's vendors
in their current state?   (For the record, I think
3months/6months are *a bit* unrealistic.)

-t