[Freedombox-discuss] [ask] booting and configuring

Thomas Lord lord at emf.net
Tue Mar 15 02:03:23 UTC 2011

Opinions and speculations requested, please.
What is our group vision about this:

I mail off a headless freedombox to some non-hacker
friend (who, let's assume, has a computer
and Internet connection at home already, but
who isn't a sysadmin or anything close).

He opens it up.  Plugs it in / turns it
on.   The package, I hope, has one page of
instructions about how to configure the
freedombox and start using it.

What does the process look like?

Does my friend have to have wifi?
Or a spare ethernet cable and a router
with a spare slot?   What if his wifi
is password protected?   Does he
telnet to the box?  Use a web browser?
Or does it include a (possibly tiny, minimal)
display and my friend is supposed to plug
in a keyboard?

What is a realistic and desirable "vision"
for the "first 10 minutes" experience?

-t