[Freedombox-discuss] In-the-cloud infrastructure and business involvement (was: distributed DNS)

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson bre at pagekite.net
Thu Mar 17 13:01:36 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 7:41 AM, Yannick <sevmek at free.fr> wrote:

> The freedombox project is based on softwares in debian, which all do
> have built in standard protocols today in use ; except if you purposely
> disable them. e.g. by simply shipping a web browser, it will allow
> people using the "cloud", as you call it, for any purposes they want.
>
> There should be no fear about compatibility here. The issue you're
> raising up here is quite different: as in some case the internet core
> principle "end to end communication" is broken, you are talking about
> some servers in the middle to provide communication services. Which I
> will name as: moving bits as a business model.

Yes, this is all correct.  The Internet's end-to-end principle IS broken,
and if we want Freedom Boxes to be able to communicate, we have to work
around that limitation.  I propose that businesses may have a role to play
by helping push bits at various layers of the stack.

Unfortunately, after this you completely lost me and I did not understand
your point, until...

> We do have the design for end to end communication and it is a standard.
> IPv6 provide enough addresses to connect every piece of rock on earth.

> Thus all the issues you raised here are taking care by the internet
> evolution,
> and only bad business model like moving bits prevent it.

I must admit I did not understand your point here.  You seem to argue that
because *some* ISPs are trying to hurt network neutrality, that the bit
pushing business models are somehow *all* evil?

What about the IPv6 providers?  They are pushing bits.  IPv6 tunneling
providers was one of the businesses I proposed might be helpful to the
FreedomBox, in order to speed up the evolution you mention above.

I honestly can't tell whether you agree or disagree with that idea. :-)

(Not that giving every single FreedomBox an IPv6 will actually solve
anything in the near term - they will remain unreachable and invisible for
the vast majority of the Internet. More is needed.)

--
Bjarni R. Einarsson
The Beanstalks Project ehf.

Making personal web-pages fly: http://pagekite.net/