[Freedombox-discuss] Roadmap Brainstorming

Les Orchard l.m.orchard at pobox.com
Fri Mar 18 01:01:19 UTC 2011

On 3/17/11 7:20 PM, Lorenzo wrote:
> I tried to convert the bullets in your list that I was sure I was
> understanding correctly in the form "I wish my FreedomBox
> could ..." to the wiki page (plus of course my wishes :) ).

Might be too early for wiki-gardening on a brainstorming page. I
restored some of my items, but if they go away again I won't get into an
edit-war. :)

Some of the points are very specific - eg. not "host my blog", but "web
publishing". I'd argue that a FreedomBox is not a good place to host a
blog. Host personal-use tools to author content and build HTML from
templates, maybe, but not a full-blown public-facing blog server.

If you really want to run a web server from an FB, something like
Pagekite is your friend. Otherwise, push content to cheap stable web
hosts (eg. Amazon S3 or Nearly Free Speech), host hidden services on
TOR, or at least put your FB behind a caching HTTP proxy (eg. squid or
nginx). Your FB's direct IP address is probably something you'd like to
keep secret and behind one or more layers of intermediaries.

Browser sync of passwords / history / forms / bookmarks is something I
think will be important, too. Chrome has had it for awhile, and Mozilla
Firefox 4 is about to launch with it. Mozilla's in particular uses
crypto before data leaves the client, and the server-side is open source.

An IRC bouncer with SSL is important to me, partly because I already use
one on my NAS daily. Maybe XMPP is more interesting, but I've spent most
of my waking hours for the past decade connected to IRC in one form or
another, so it could be useful to others :)

In any case, my general wishlist theme is for incremental improvements
on things I use daily

l.m.orchard at pobox.com
http://decafbad.com
{web,mad,computer} scientist