[Freedombox-discuss] Iomega iConnect lessons for FreedomBox

Les Orchard l.m.orchard at pobox.com
Thu Mar 24 03:20:23 UTC 2011

On 3/23/11 10:46 PM, John Gilmore wrote:
>  Consumer electronics maker Iomega is shipping an "iConnect" box with
>  similar electronics to the ShevaPlug. But unlike the GlobalScale
>  team, they seem to have done some marketing. We can learn from
>  them:

http://go.iomega.com/en-us/products/network-storage-desktop/wireless-data-station/network-hard-drive-iconnect/

+1 to all your points.

Also, FWIW, if we're comparing existing consumer hardware - which I
think we should - I'd submit my Synology DS210j NAS for lessons to learn:

http://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskStation-Diskless-Attached-DS211J/dp/B0049MPQGI/

>  In every other product, NAS (network addressable storage) always
>  seems to cost a minimum of $1000 more than the disk drives;

Here's this year's model, the DS211j, US$200 without disks:

http://www.synology.com/us/products/DS211j/index.php

Much pricier than the iConnect, but lots cheaper than a Drobo. There's
also the DS111j, US$150 and less 1 drive bay. I think the hardware in
these boxes are equivalent or worse than the SheevaPlug, at least on the
low-end of the Synology line up.

The reason I mention this NAS is that I think it does pretty well on all
the dimensions you mentioned as lessons for the FreedomBox, in
particular in the area of user interface and support:

http://www.synology.com/us/products/features/index.php

I have to say, the ExtJS-based DSM3.1 is one of the most usable and
solid web UI's I've seen for this kind of consumer device. It also
tolerates a pretty high degree of hacking / tweaking without running
afoul of manufacturer support policies. (eg. I just compiled node.js on
it last night using optware packages)

I'd hope we could at least match this kind of experience, eventually, on
a FreedomBox.

l.m.orchard at pobox.com
http://decafbad.com
{web,mad,computer} scientist