[Freedombox-discuss] Has anyone looked at phantom? What other hard core security things are people investigating?

Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Sat Mar 26 00:58:43 UTC 2011

I'm already "off the cloud" utilizing about 80% of the software from the
http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/LeavingTheCloud page
and have been for some time.  I also spread the word about the software
as much as I can.  I consider this the first phase of freedom
in todays world of increasingly siloed/locked up data.

I'm in the process of finishing up a bunch of random tasks/blog posts
etc, and am beginning to take a serious look at the
next phase of data ownership, which in my opinion is hard core,
transparent/minimally invasive (to the end user) security,
anonymity and survivability.  So  I was looking over the freedombox wiki
today, as I had some spare time
and wanted to see if there was any cool apps that I missed. Turns out
there is.  From http://autonomo.us/wiki/Wish_list
(bottom of the LeavingTheCloud wiki page) I found
http://code.google.com/p/phantom/

Has anyone looked at this? If so what do people think about it? If not
what about any
other approaches to solving the problem, beyond standard
backups/patching/ids
etc which the pages  above provide several viable solutions for). [1]

Later on I'll be writing up the results of my more comprehensive
research, including the utilization
of one time passwords and alternate trusted operating systems (like
genode).  So I'm interested
in peoples thoughts on this matter, to help frame my research and
eventual reporting.

Everything I write ends up on my blog/wiki and is public. Usually starts
on the blog and then migrates
to the wiki. :)

Current article on security at: http://blog.knownelement.com/?p=541

[1]
  I have a wiki page on the subject at
http://wiki.knownelement.com/index.php?title=BlueJacket
  which I will be updating later on tonight  with final details of the
token security/survivability steps
that I've taken. Learning about dirvish and luckybackup from the FB wiki
has been most useful!