[Freedombox-discuss] Tor .onion domains

Spectral Emanation spectralemanation at gmail.com
Sat May 7 23:45:56 UTC 2011

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 9:43 PM, Mildred Ki'Lya <mildred593 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if we shouldn't use the infrastructure of the Tor
> onion sites.

I don't think it's feasible to use it for everything, for the reasons
other people have mentioned. But on my FreedomBox I run a Tor node
fulltime and use it for specific tasks:

* If I leave it on all the time instead of just starting it when I
want to use it, it's harder to be monitored via correlation attacks.
* I pipe "DNS Perspectives" ( http://www.networknotary.org/ ) through
it as another way to improve trust on SSL certs, but prevent
monitoring of what specific sites I am visiting. Perspectives alone
does not yet encrypt requests, only signs them.
* Bitcoin traffic goes through Tor only. Not much is going on with
this right now, but I expect it to take off in the future. and when it
becomes viable, expect it to be made illegal and associated with
terrorism and tax fraud so why let my ISP/government and their two
years of mandatory traffic logging know I'm even playing with it.

When I accomplish what I want, I will of course share it with the
community for those that find it valuable.

S.