[Freedombox-discuss] Hardware platforms?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun May 8 01:52:16 UTC 2011

Hi Sandy,

On 11-05-08 at 09:19am, Sandy Harris wrote:
> What is our target platform? We might target anything
> that can run Linux, or some subset with required
> capabilities, or even one or more specific devices.
>
> Our main target is plug computers and the ideal
> target something like Dreamplug:
> http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/c-5-dreamplugs.aspx
>
> That has more-or-less everything we need. Two ethers
> so it can be used as a firewall, WiFi so it can be a
> home router or used in a Wifi coffee shop, external
> sata so it can have a large fast erasable disk.
>
> Clearly we want to support lesser plugs as well.
> What else?

Nothing else.  Even those fancy additional ports on HeavenBox,
GloriousBox and UltrashinyBox is problematic:

It must be dead simple to use.

Supporting multiple types of hardware makes it _less_ simple.

> Old PCs? Not everyone, especially in developing
> countries, has access to or can afford a plug
> computer.

Then use Debian - that's the universal operating system.

FreedomBox is more narrowly targeted, with additional requirements -
e.g. being dead simple to use.

Very little have been done in the area of usability so far.  Being dead
simple to use is *crucial* for FreedomBox.  It is not a pet toy for us
hackers to use, but a boring server for our non-geeky friends to use!