[Freedombox-discuss] Tor .onion domains

Lee Fisher blibbet at gmail.com
Sun May 8 17:15:27 UTC 2011

> I imagine that some of my friends will not want to do blogging, but
> might help chinese people get onto the lovely western Internet eg. by
> running a Tor exit node.

For users in countries that need censorship circumvention, I'd hope that
FB's UI would also offer Bridge exits, in addition to normal/published
ones. With Bridge router on the safer side of the UI slider.

Also, having Tor and not using Hidden Services seems a shame. And
they're the ones that use .onion domains, from the orig question. I'd
like the option to share some files or net services over Tor HS. On the
more dangerous side of the UI's slider.

And an SSH server (dropbear ort openssh?) is part of FreedomBox, I
hope/presume?

PS: Anyway, back to original question of this thread, the reuse of Tor's
.onion domain names/infrastructure, I hope the inspirational Zooko
distname stuff has been looked at. Presumably, you could use this naming
scheme even if Tor wasn't loaded. (though I'd probably choose a
non-.onion vTLD).
http://www.zooko.com/distnames.html
Note this WebID discusson on this topic, relating to Freedombox:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-webid/2011Mar/0073.html