[Freedombox-discuss] Fwd: Translating expressions...

Luis A. Morán Morales moranmorales at gmail.com
Wed May 25 16:11:10 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-25 at 09:45 -0400, Ted Smith wrote:
> It should probably be up to the translators to understand how their
> linguistic community feels about this (and other) phrase(s) and act
> accordingly.

Ted,

I totally agree: it should be up to the translators to contextualize
idiomatic phrases for their linguistic/cultural milieu. Not to dismiss
the concerns expressed in the thread regarding cultural and political
sensibilities, but this may be much to do about nothing. I think
footnotes to explain idiomatic phrases in any translation should do just
fine. I do that all the time in normal conversation with English and
Spanish speakers.

Even the various Spanish dialects have idioms that don't "translate"
universally across all Spanish-speaking cultures. I'd trust the
translators' judgment in contextualizing "touchy" issues for their
target audience.

--
Luis A. Morán Morales
https://identi.ca/lamm

Use software that respects your freedom. Visit the Free Software
Foundation to learn more.
http://www.fsf.org/