[Freedombox-discuss] Connecting People (Zot and a link dump)

Stephen Michael Kellat skellat at fastmail.net
Tue Nov 1 21:16:16 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, November 01, 2011 9:57 PM, "Melvin Carvalho"
<melvincarvalho at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 November 2011 05:17, Nick Daly <nick.m.daly at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I've been wondering what a decentralized social network would look like
> > for the last couple days, and come up with a few kooky (if potentially
> > functional) ideas, like customized and encrypted OStatus/Atom feeds (for
> > pull-protocols or broadcasting).
> >
> > A bit more research, and it looks like a better solution is already in
> > process, through Zot:
> >
> >    http://dfrn.org/zot-protocol.txt
> >
> > Zot depends on Webfinger and Salmon, which seem to allow and encourage
> > decentralized, self-published, social networks, particularly when
> > coupled with GPG's Web-of-Trust (as provided through Zot).  If Zot (and
> > consumers like Friendika) can pull this off, they might've given us both
> > a protocol and UI for social networking on the FBX.
> >
> > Thoughts?  Where does this fall short on the stated needs and use-cases
> > (aside from being a bit incomplete, black kettle and all)?
>
> BTW Evan is talking about OStatus et al at TPAC today ... there's a
> big meet of the federated social web people today.
>
> I'll try post the minutes here if I can get hold of them.
>

> > Nick
> >

> > - ----
> >
> > WebFinger:
> >
> >    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webfinger
> >    https://code.google.com/p/webfinger/
> >    http://hueniverse.com/2009/08/introducing-webfinger/
> >
> > Salmon:
> >
> >    http://www.salmon-protocol.org/
> >    http://www.salmon-protocol.org/salmon-protocol-summary
> >
> > Zot-supporting documents:
> >
> >    http://macgirvin.com/profile/mike
> >    https://groups.google.com/group/zot-dev
> > - --
> > GPG: 0x0928D23A | D95C 3204 2EE5 4FFD B25E  C348 9F27 33F4 0928 D23A
[snip]

With the shift already of StatusNet instances cropping up due to recent
heavy load on Identica itself, this may come about on its own fairly
soon.  Making the install of your own instance easier for one's own
FreedomBox would be a cool thing.

SMK