[Freedombox-discuss] Feedback and patches for freedom-maker.

Bdale Garbee bdale at gag.com
Wed Nov 2 15:21:02 UTC 2011

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 02:17:27 -0200, Thiago Jung Bauermann <thiago.bauermann at gmail.com> wrote:
> On IRC Rob Savoye pointed me to freedom-maker.   I wish I knew about
> it earlier! :-)  To help future users and prospective developers, I
> mentioned the tool on http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/GettingStarted

Great idea, thanks!

> One thing I didn't understand is the remark on the botton of the README
> saying that it's necessary to generate new ssh host keys. Fresh keys are
> created in the process of configuring packages inside the chroot after
> multistrap finishes, no?

If everyone starts from source and uses freedom-maker themselves, that
is correct.  However, I anticipate that my colleagues at the Foundation
are likely to run freedom-maker once to generate an image, and then use
that image to prepare a large number of DreamPlug units for delivery to
others.  It is in that context that I want to make sure they don't end
up distributing one host key pair cloned across many machines.

> Last but not least, my next steps are:
>
>      1. Get client mode wireless to work (though I may skip this since
>         maybe I'll use the dreamplug as a router).

That would be great.  I'm not currently using the wifi port at all
personally, so it has not gotten as much attention as it might have
otherwise.

>      2. Set up some containers to run each service in isolation. I'm
>         planning to closely follow the architecture laid out here:
>
> http://freedomboxblog.nl/a-software-architecture-for-the-freedombox/

I'm very interested to see how this works out, in particular what you
think of the resulting performance on Kirkwood.

I'm quite busy today but will try to take a look at your changes later
today.

Bdale