[Freedombox-discuss] Connecting People (Zot and a link dump)

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 10:34:14 UTC 2011

On 2 November 2011 04:28, Nick Daly <nick.m.daly at gmail.com> wrote:

> Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm listening to the comments right now.  Evan just said:
>>
>> "the big thing we hear from our users is we would like a web that
>> works like The Web, not one that works like an email inbox"
>>
>> This will be soooooo much easier with FBX where everyone has complete
>> control of their box, keys and web server ... I think once we have a
>> few boxes talking set up it's going to be a whole lot clearer.
>
> Precisely.  I'm just trying to weigh what options we have for my
> (admittedly still unclear) ideas of how the system should work.  It'd be
> nice if the (box-to-box, friend-to-friend, encrypted, and customized)
> communication bit was already worked out, and nobody needed to invent
> any wheels.
>
> The big questions are: how do they talk?  How should they talk?  There
> are a couple options out there already, and I'm nearly certain there's
> no one-size-fits all solution, there are lots and lots of use-cases.
>
> I'm also not convinced there's an existing solution that precisely fits
> the project's (or at least my) ideals.  I'm looking for something like
> Webfinger over a DHT based on GPG that provides both routing and
> identity information.  If this sounds interesting to anybody, feel free
> to ping me off list.

Still trying to get the minutes but from what I gathered:

- People are moving away from XML and towards JSON

- OStatus hasnt gained the adoption it would have liked

- Salmon seems particularly hard to implement with everyone seeming to
do it a slightly different way

I've had a brief look at zot, I'm highly skeptical it can gain adoption

- http://purl.org/zot/1.0 did not resolve for me

- Unsure if the OStatus folks will want to run with it

- Unsure if it's using new URI schemes, scaling, IANA acceptance etc.

- Unsure how much it's been peer reviewed.

General thoughts:

- This is a problem that no one has solved yet.

- The wordpress blog you run on your plug server has potential to be
developed into a web based social net, perhaps even possible with
something like drupal

- GNU Social still has potential as a microblogging solution, perhaps more

- Retroshare works well with PGP and IM

- There seem some plans to develop an end to end encrypted XMPP / GPG
thing (dont hold your breath ;) )

- I think the principle of good design are 'low coupling, high
cohesion'.  Meaning as far as possible dont try and be FBX specific.

- Apache 2 with a self signed cert is a very good start.  Build up
incrementally through trial and error.

- I think the correct way to model things by FAR is what facebook have
done with the open graph protocol.  A FOSS version of that with data
freedom, and keep your own logs.