[Freedombox-discuss] What UI?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Nov 10 03:28:44 UTC 2011

Hi Nick and Robert,

On 11-11-09 at 07:29pm, Nick Daly wrote:
> Robert Martinez <mail at mray.de> writes:
>
> > I'm curious what kind of user interface may be available for users.
> > So my question to all the coding wizards out there is:
> >
> > Will there be any in the first releases?
> > Will it be some kind of web interface like my router has?
> > Will it control all main services - or will there be different ones
> > for each?
> >
> > I now these questions are hard to answer right now.
> > But what can I probably expect?
>
> You can expect a web-based UI.

FreedomBox is developed by volunteer efforts.  So you can expect to
choose from the user interfaces that volunteers come up with.  Which
might me multiple ones (perhaps including a deliberate "none"), or it
might be lacking completely (meaning it needs one but noone volunteerd
to do it).

Most discussions so far have been on web-based UI.  Which might only
mean that most "philosophers" among us think in that direction - but
hopefully it will be followed by actual contributions :-)

There are other possible options too, but less talked about - which
might mean noone cares, or perhaps that they are so obvious than no
discussion is needed, just volunteers to implement them ;-)

> Most plug-servers aren't powerful enough to run an X-server.  Even for
> those servers that can, their processing power and RAM is probably
> better spent handling additional clients/connections.

There are other options for UI than web and X11.

I proposed a couple of alternatives (and more importantly to not
restrict ourselves to a single UI!) here:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2011-August/002596.html

I am currently on a 2 ½ month journey through India and East Asia to
talk about Debian Pure Blends - which includes (software aspects of)
FreedomBox.  Some 10-15 people in Hyderabad, Mangalore and Bangalore
showed interest in working on my proposed chat interfaces.  We'll see
how many of them (if any) appear on this list and start make noise about
it.

Regards,