[Freedombox-discuss] What UI?

Rick graham.rick at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 14:05:49 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 8:37 AM, James Vasile <
vasile at freedomboxfoundation.org> wrote:

> The idea is that it's a universal place to put config/ui.  You drop
> modules in it to populate the menus.  I think users would prefer a
> task-oriented, cross-app config instead of a per-app config
> per-application config.  I might be wrong about that, but I think it's
> true.

Anyone would like that, assuming it works and you don't give up too much to
get it.

One of my problems with Ubuntu is that they are too free and easy with
changing setup.  They use a big hammer and just throw out the traditional
configuration setups, ostensibly to create an environment that is easier to
work with.  If you are a developer, the reverse is true, configuration
becomes difficult and frustrating because someone has changed all the rules.

Don't do that.  It's fine to put GUI on top, but stick with the Debian way
at the lowest level and maintain a system where those config files are
authorative.

--
Politicians should wear uniforms like Nascar drivers.
Emblazoned with their corporate sponsors.