[Freedombox-discuss] Other tit-bits.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Nov 30 12:38:17 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 03:02:27AM -0800, Weaver wrote:
> There are one or two other projects about that seem ready made for the
> Freedombox.
>
> Not just as programmes, but as viable, even viral means of distribution.
>
> This URI is far too long so I shortened it.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/bp5c6mv

Please don't post shortened URLs without even offering a summary.

YaCy has already been discussed several times on the list.
The show-stopping problem I see is that it's difficult to shoehorn
a JVM and an application with already considerable footprint into
a pretty small ARM embedded which must also run other daemons.

I have the impression that anything relying on Java would be
a disqualification criterium for FreeedomBox minimal functionality
(Tier 0?) as it has to run on an embedded footprint. It would
probably be ok for the higher tiers, particularly that it has
been already packaged for Debian

http://yacy-websuche.de/wiki/index.php/En:DebianInstall