[Freedombox-discuss] Tap-to-share PGP key exchange

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Wed Oct 5 05:46:57 UTC 2011

> One thought: what about a point-to-point wired connection?  That's
> pretty easy for humans to physically inspect/verify, and wouldn't need
> the additional optical verification check.
>
> Is there such a standard connection for common handheld
> computers/smartphones?

It's called Ethernet.

Works great for netbooks on up (except for a few Apple models that are
too snooty to have it).  Some handhelds (e.g. Zaurus with PCMCIA
adapter) and some modern tablets offer Ethernet interfaces.  I don't
know of any cellphones or smartphones with Ethernet.

Hmm, the one wired "standard" that exists on most smartphones is the
earphone/microphone jack.  It might be possible to use that for data
transfer with unique software and unique cables.  The "squareup.com"
credit card reader uses that jack for data transfer, too, so there
is a precedent.

(I think the camera/screen/QRcode approach is probably best.
Bluetooth has never been better than a pain for me, and its security
is close to nil - a 4 digit number at best, often set to "0000".)

	John