[Freedombox-discuss] Tap-to-share PGP key exchange

Ted Smith tedks at riseup.net
Wed Oct 5 15:42:27 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 12:38 -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

> One thought: what about a point-to-point wired connection?  That's
> pretty easy for humans to physically inspect/verify, and wouldn't need
> the additional optical verification check.
>
> Is there such a standard connection for common handheld
> computers/smartphones?

The one data port that all Android devices have is (micro?mini?)USB. The
debugger uses a serial connection over the USB to control the device, so
presumably two devices could use it to talk to each other if the devices
support USB host.

USB host mode is supported officially in Andriod 3.1 or higher, but
since that isn't free software, it's useless to us. If it were possible
to activate USB host mode in earlier versions, either by installing a
custom kernel or rooting, it would be useful.

This would require people to have miniUSB to miniUSB cables, though,
which are rare enough that I've never seen one.