[Freedombox-discuss] A complimenty tablet for a inexpencive personal server.

Anthony Papillion papillion at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 23:02:51 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Matt Dodson <war2none at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Just saw an article on Al Jazeera, on this tablet, the Aakash, a cheep one
> at $35, although the spec is quite low and currently only being sold to
> students through Indian education institutions. This would be a good help to
> the Freedombox in the Developing World.

Personally, while I believe you probably *could* use it as a server, I
don't think it makes much sense in this context. First, tablets are
not meant to stay awake all the times. Doing so would probably
severely limit their lifespan. Second, the form factor doesn't really
work for a server. Why not just buy one of the plug computers instead?
Or, if you want really low costs, wait for the Rasperry Pi to release
later this year.

Just my $0.02
Anthony