[Freedombox-discuss] Diaspora

Yosem Companys companys at stanford.edu
Sun Oct 16 10:31:00 UTC 2011

Mark Zuckerberg made a donation of $25, if I remember correctly.  So he was
just one donor of many.  We've never had any contact with him and don't know
him personally.  Here's what Zuckerberg himself said about the donation in
an interview with Wired
Magazine<http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/05/zuckerberg-interview/>
:

*Wired.com*: What do you think of the push for an open, federated social
> network and the four NYU students who raised $200,000 for the Diaspora
> project without having a single line of code?

*Zuckerberg*: I donated. I think it is a cool idea.

Actually it reminds me of this cool thing we built early on called Wirehog.
> Early on, it was clear that users wanted more photos on the site. There were
> a set of users who would change their one profile picture every day. And we
> looked at that data and took that as people want to share more photos.

But photos are expensive and we didn’t have an infrastructure. We were just
> trying to grow the site and add more colleges to the site. So we built this
> personal web server that people could install on their computer where they
> could put all their files on it — which at the time were mostly photos but
> it supported videos and music — and share it with your friends. So in a way
> it was the prototypical platform app, but it was also a decentralized way to
> share information.

So I think it is a cool idea just based on that.

I think it is cool people are trying to do it. I see a little of myself in
> them. It’s just their approach that the world could be better and saying,
> “We should try to do it.”

*(Editor’s note: Wirehog was killed off by Facebook after Facebook’s
> then-president Sean Parker — who co-founded Napster — argued that Wirehog
> would face the same ugly legal death that the infamous peer-to-peer music
> sharing site did. On Wednesday at the TechCrunch Disrupt conference, Parker
> called it “illegal” and said he “put a bullet in it.”)
> *

In an interesting way, a lot of the privacy stuff is much easier to do in a
> centralized environment. Some of the simple stuff like friend-to-friend,
> peer-to-peer stuff is simple, but once you start getting into
> friends-of-friends, you start running into problems like we did with
> Wirehog. If someone can come up with a new approach, then [that's] awesome.

Some have speculated that the donation was an attempt to de-legitimize us.
 I don't really think that's true.  I can't imagine Mark Zuckerberg wasting
any sleep over us.

Yosem